Annual event to be held Sept. 13-16
Northborough – It’s starting to look a lot like Applefest! The banners are hung along Route 20, and plans for the fall festival being held Thursday, Sept. 13 through Sunday, Sept. 16. are now being finalized.
Applefest Committee Chairman Michelle Gillespie has been involved with Applefest for over a decade and has seen it evolve from a one-day event to the current four-day schedule.
“It has become more community based,” she said. “I look forward to all the new events and am happy to see more participation by nonprofit groups this year.”
She also gives special thanks to the event sponsors Lowe’s Variety and Meat Market and St. Mary’s Credit Union.
Gillespie said that Saturday’s events have a little something that will appeal to everyone and to all ages.
“We are trying to tie in Saturday’s daytime activities and events with businesses on Main Street to support the downtown area,” she said.
The day starts at Marion E. Zeh School, 33 Howard Street, with the annual Corridor Nine Area Chamber of Commerce 5K. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m.; the race starts at 10 a.m.
Keep your sneakers on as you walk, shop, play and eat for the rest of the day.
The popular Farmers’ Market returns for its second year and will be held on the future Northborough Town Common, 45 West Main Street, 10 a.m.–3 p.m. It will feature over 20 vendors, each selling diverse products to maximize variety. Food trucks, music and Northborough’s four farms will be present.
Also on Saturday’s schedule:
- Northborough Rotary Street Fair, Blake Street, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Northboro Junior Woman’s Club Apple Pie Café at Trinity Church, 9 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Trinity Church FunDay, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Church of Nativity FallFest 12-4 pm
- Friends of the Northborough Free Library sidewalk book sale, 9:30 a.m.–3 p.m.
- Northborough Trails Committee Hike at Edmunds Hill Trail, 12-1 p.m.
- Northborough Historical Society, 52 Main St., will give building tours and host the Art and Bloom Show sponsored by Northborough Garden Club and Northboro Art Guild, 12-4 p.m. (Sunday too)
- American Legion Post #234, 402 Main St., will host its Chicken BBQ from 4-6 p.m.
Saturday evening festivities move from downtown to the athletic fields at Algonquin Regional High School, 79 Bartlett St., starting at 4 p.m. and will include a robotics show, games and entertainment including the band Hit the Bus. There will also be pizza, desserts and grilling by the Knights of Columbus and Northborough Challenger League.
The evening will end with a spectacular fireworks display.
Sunday’s activities include:
- Boy Scouts pancake breakfast from 7–11 a.m. at the American Legion Post, 403 Main St.
- Classic car show at its new location of Times Square Shopping Plaza, 299 West Main Street, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Northborough Cultural Council Festival, Unitarian Church, 40 Church St., 12 -4 p.m.
- The Taste of Northborough at Robert E. Melican Middle School, 145 Lincoln St., will feature food and drink from area restaurants from 4-7 p.m.
View the entire Applefest schedule at www.northboroughapplefest.com.