By Bonnie Adams, Managing Editor
Northborough – When parents sign up their children up for safety courses, the hope is of course, they will never need to actually use those skills that they learn. Their secondary hope is if the kids do find themselves in a dangerous situation, they will be able to implement those skills if needed.
Fortunately, for one young Northborough girl, Keira Silvia, her friend Shailyn Ryan had taken a Home Alone Safety course at the Northboro Recreation Center April 30. The very next day, as the girls were eating lunch at the Marguerite Peaslee Elementary School where they are both in the third grade, Keira started choking on a hot dog. Shailyn jumped right into action and performed the Heimlich maneuver on her friend, dislodging the food.
On May 20, the girls were both guests the Board of Selectmen’s meeting where they were both praised for their courage. Recreation Department Director Allison Lane presented Shailyn with a “Heartsaver Hero Award” for her quick actions in assisting her friend. The board presented the young girl with a certification of appreciation as well. In part it said, that Shailyn’s actions were a “true testament to her skills and bravery.”
The board all noted that they were thankful that Shailyn was in the right place at the right time to help Keira, preventing a possible tragedy.
“This is a classic case of you never think it’s going to happen to you,” Selectman Leslie Rutan said.
“Everyone here is proud of you both,” she added.