NORTHBOROUGH – Northborough is gearing up for its 2021 municipal elections on May 11. As voters get set to head to the polls, the Community Advocate has zeroed in on contested races for prominent bodies like Board of Selectmen, Planning Board, and School Committee.
The Community Advocate reached out to candidates who filed paperwork to appear on their town’s ballot and asked them to submit a personal statement as well as answers to three specific questions.
See those biographies and read extended questions and answers from Northborough Board of Selectmen Candidate Kristen Wixted here…
See complete statements from other candidates…
I’m Kristen Wixted, writer and editor of children’s books; volunteer for various organizations and projects related to anti-racism, promoting reading for children, and others. Northborough has been my hometown for nearly 17 years, my children have gone to school here, and we love our hundred-year-old house. This past year I’ve worked on the “Save Bartlett” campaign against over-development in town, and I’m running for office because I realize this is a concern for people all over Northborough.
What do you see as the most important issue(s) facing Northborough today?
1. There is a new generation of women in Northborough whose voices and opinions need to be supported.
2. The environment needs a strong advocate. I support creating a sustainability committee asap to work with other towns on protecting our water, animals, and wild places.
3. Our senior citizens have already given their time and energy to the country. I will give their issues my time and energy if elected, and am eager to hear their stories.
4. A change in attitudes regarding anti-racism, inclusion for LGBTQIA+ residents and neuro-diverse community members needs to be implemented.
5. Traffic and safety is a very big problem, in particular 18-wheelers cutting through Northborough when highway routes are safer for everyone.
What will you bring to the Board of Selectmen if (re-)elected?
My creative problem-solving and people skills are a good combination to work on the novel problems our small town is currently facing.
Is there anything else you want voters to know about you as a candidate?
My virtual presence is at https://www.facebook.com/
If you have ideas to share or discuss, please reach out to me! Either on Messenger or at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!