By Stuart Foster, Contributing Writer
MARLBOROUGH – Efforts to open a Raising Cane’s restaurant in Marlborough are moving forward after the Marlborough City Council’s Urban Affairs Subcommittee voted 5-0 to approve a draft special permit for a location at 141 Boston Post Rd. West Aug. 16.
The proposal, which requires a special permit due to its use of a drive-through, had previously seen opposition from a McDonald’s restaurant that shares the same address. McDonald’s representatives had raised concerns over traffic around drive-through lanes.
Michael Brangwynne, an attorney representing Raising Cane’s who spoke at the meeting, said that they had been in contact with McDonald’s.
“We have had several discussions with that operator, and we have done our best to address those concerns, to speak to the concerns they have,” Brangwynne said.
Brangwynne said that Raising Cane’s had provided a traffic study to McDonald’s that shows a new Raising Cane’s would not negatively impact traffic to and from the McDonald’s.
Urban Affairs Subcommittee Chair Kathleen Robey recommended after the vote that, when the matter proceeds to the City Council, the council should vote to suspend it, so it can be referred to the solicitor, as the draft special permit must be reviewed by legal counsel.
Robey said that if the solicitor then approves the permit, the Marlborough City Council would vote at their following meeting on Monday, Sept. 13.