Northborough man arrested after allegedly breaking into Westborough Fire Station


Photos shared by the Westborough Fire Department show damage at the Westborough Fire Station/911 Center, as well as an infrared thermometer used in an incident on Monday morning. (Photos/via Westborough Fire Department)

WESTBOROUGH – A Northborough man was arrested early Monday morning after allegedly breaking a series of glass doors at the Westborough Fire Station and pointing an initially unknown object at emergency dispatchers. 

Kevin Tupper is now facing four charges including defacing/damaging property, breaking and entering a building in the nighttime with an intent to commit a felony, breaking and entering a motor vehicle and receiving stolen property, according to the Westborough Fire Department.

The fire department announced this news just before noon on Monday, explaining that the incident took place around 3:20 a.m. 

Dispatchers assigned to the Westborough Public Safety Communications Center, which is located at the fire station site on Milk Street, reportedly heard a “loud crash” from outside the facility. 

“Dispatchers immediately observed a male striking the front vestibule doors with an unknown type object,” the fire department wrote in its announcement. 

Westborough police responded as Tupper allegedly smashed through a pair of exterior doors in the building’s vestibule.

The fire department said dispatchers then saw Tupper “‘point something at them,’ which included a red laser dot” while police were still on route.

The dispatchers reportedly took cover while advising patrols of the situation over a portable radio. 

When police arrived, they saw Tupper, “who turned and aimed the same object with a red laser at them,” according to the fire department’s announcement. 

The fire department said police asked Tupper to drop his weapon before an officer was able to determine that it was not a gun. 

The object was subsequently identified as an infrared thermometer after Tupper was taken into custody. 

During officers’ investigation, the fire department said, officers learned that Tupper also broke into an on-duty firefighter’s vehicle and removed items.

The fire station vestibule was seen with its windows boarded up early Monday afternoon following this incident.