UPDATE: This article has been updated with comment from Fire Chief David Parenti.
NORTHBOROUGH – Crews responded to a fire in the 100 block of Whitney Street Saturday evening.
Northborough Fire Department reported that it was a two-alarm fire and advised people to avoid the area if possible, according to their Facebook post at about 7 p.m.
Chief David Parenti said the house was occupied by two people at the time of the fire, and both made it out without injury.
One firefighter was transported to the hospital for heat-related injuries, Parenti said. That firefighter was treated and released.
“[The] house is not habitable,” Parenti said.
In terms of the cause of the fire, he said they were refinishing some furniture on the front porch and left rags soaked with linseed oil in a pile on the porch.
“They were inside the home and heard some strange noises outside. When they looked out, they saw the fire and evacuated the building. They did not have time to grab anything,” Parenti said.
He said the occupants are staying with relatives.
Photos shared by the Westborough Fire Department on Facebook showed a the front of the home engulfed in flames.
Multiple fire departments from the area responded to the fire, including those from Westborough, Marlborough, Shrewsbury, Southborough and Berlin. Patriot Ambulance also responded.