SOUTHBOROUGH – Southborough is looking for volunteers to join the town’s Community Center Exploratory Committee.
The committee will consist of seven members, each appointed by the Board of Selectmen. It will include three residents at large, a Council of Aging member, a Recreation Commission member, a Library Board trustee and a member of the Capital Planning Committee or Capital Improvement and Planning Committee.
The committee will help develop a vision and plan for a new community center in Southborough, which was highlighted as a priority in recent Master Plan processes and capital planning surveys, as noted in a town announcement.
Volunteers interested can apply by filling an online form at https://southboroughmaboards.vt-s.net/newcaf.php.
Members of the committee will also elect their own chair, vice-chair and clerk.
The committee’s charge will expire on June 30, 2023, and is listed below:
- Review and understand the results and feedback received during the Capital Planning Committee’s Space Needs Study presented in January 2022.
- Incorporate the potential needs of all town departments, boards, committees and commissions that were part of the 2021 Space Needs Study.
- Consider existing infrastructure, new construction, or renovation of existing infrastructure not currently owned by the town.
- Understand the financial constraints of the town and bring forward one or more fiscally responsible plans to advance a project for further consideration by the taxpayers of Southborough, including consideration of a public/ private partnership.
- Options must consider at least one scenario where the Woodward School is available for reuse and another scenario where it is not available for reuse.
- Communication must be maintained with the Neary Building Committee as the work of the CC Committee will be considered as part of the Feasibility Study that will kick off shortly.
- CC Committee should make a preliminary presentation by December 2022 in a public meeting of the Select Board, with the expectation that all work should be completed by June 2022.