SHREWSBURY – Of the many social and ethnic clubs that once lined the shores of Lake Quinsigamond, probably the most elaborate quarters were those of the Svea Gille.
This club had its quarters on what is now South Quinsigamond Avenue, just opposite Oak Street.
Here we have an elaborate document that was used to incorporate the club, which is dated June 28, 1894. The club’s officers were listed as Axel Hageby, Charles Johnson, Isaac Malmstedt, Ferdinand Flodin, Axel Hannson, Charles Beck, Sven Hanson, John Oldsen Adolph Romborg and Gustaf Lindfors.
The group was formed “for the purpose of encouraging athletic exercises and yachting, prosecuting literary and musical purposes, and establishing and maintaining places for reading rooms, libraries and social meetings for the mutual improvement of its members.”
The Svea Gille ceased operations in the 1970s, when the building was taken over by the Ancient Order of Hibernians. Still later, the building became home to the Quinsigamond Athletic Association, known locally as the QAC Club.
Eventually, the building was torn down and replaced by a condominium complex.
Shrewsbury Then & Now: An icehouse at Jordan Pond