REGION – Parades, pie eating contests, talent shows – welcome to the weekend of Spirit of Shrewsbury. Outside of Shrewsbury, there’s a lot of events and activities going on across the region.
Spirit of Shrewsbury
The festival takes place Sept. 23 and Sept 24.
- Shrewsbury’s Got Talent – Sept. 23, 10 a.m., Oak Middle School
- Annual Spirit of Shrewsbury Expo – Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Oak Middle School.
- In addition to the expo, there’s tons of events happening at Oak Middle School. Throughout the expo, Shrewsbury High School’s FIRST Robotics Team 467 will hold a demonstration. There will also be face painting, food trucks, a dog show at 1 p.m. and Pumpkin and Pies which features pumpkin decorating and a pie eating contest.
- Spirit of Shrewsbury Parade – Sept. 24, 1 p.m. The parade starts at Maj. Howard W. Beal School and travels to Oak Middle School.
- Fall Seniors’ Luncheon – Sept. 24, 2:30 p.m., Senior Center. A reservation is required to attend the luncheon and can be made by calling the Senior Center at 508-841-8640 or emailing [email protected].
- Mountain View Cemetery Tour – Sept. 30, 6:30 p.m. Take a tour of the cemetery, and maybe you’ll see some of the “historic guests.”
Marlborough Friends of the Poor Walk
The Immaculate Conception and St. Matthias parishes will hold the seventh annual St. Vincent de Paul Marlborough Friends of the Poor Walk on Sept. 23. Registration will be at 9 a.m. in the Immaculate Conception Parish Meehan Hall on the corner of Prospect and Washington streets. The three-mile loop walk will begin from there at 10 a.m. and will go along the Assabet River Rail Trail.
All of the donations go to assist Marlborough residents with rent, utilities, medical bills, food and car repairs. To donate to a walker or to register to walk, go to www.marlboroughfopwalk.org.
Southborough Garden Tour and Plant Sale
Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to noon, Native Pollination Preservation Garden, Beals Preserve, Main Street. See the late-season flowers and the pollinators as they transition to fall. There will also be a native plant sale. Schedule – 10 a.m. to noon, plant sale; 10 and 11 a.m., garden tour; 10:30 and 11:30 a.m., seed collection. Presented by the Southborough Open Space Preservation Commission.
Harvest Fair and Apple Pie Social
Sept. 24, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Congregational Church of Grafton, 30 Common. Homemade apple pies and crisps, yard sale, hot lunch with chili, chowder, hamburgers and hot dogs. There will also be live music, raffle baskets and children’s games.
For more local events, check out our community calendar at https://www.communityadvocate.com/local-events/#/.