On this day in 1854, the Republican Party was founded in Ripon, WI, by former members of the Whig Party who were opposed to slavery spreading into the western territories.
In 1760, the 'second’ Great Fire of Boston destroyed 349 buildings and left 220 families homeless, according to www.bostonfirehistory.org.
And this day in 1345 is believed to be the day “Black Death” or as it's commonly know, the Plague, was created. Originally thought by scholars at the time to be caused by a “conjunction of Saturn, Mars and Jupiter,” the devastating disease was actually caused by fleas on rats and the unsanitary conditions at the time. By the time the Plague had ravaged Europe, the Middle East and Asia, 25 million people had perished.
On a much nicer note, today is the first day of Spring 2012!
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Now that winter is over, here's a fun event at the Shrewsbury Public Library to help get you in the mood for spring fashions.
2. E-readers are becoming more popular but there is nothing like getting a great book, especially at a bargain price. Check out the Northborough Free Library's Book Sale that will be held from March 22-24.
3. Marlborough will be holding household hazardous waste collection day on Saturday, May 19. Go to this link to get a list of what they will and will not accept to help you as you start your spring cleaning.
4. If you have never seen the Harlem Ambassadors play, you should check them out when they come to Westborough on March 31. Not only will you see amazing basketball talent, it's for a great cause too – helping the Rotary Club of Westborough raise funds for all the great projects the club does locally and internationally.
5. Southborough will be holding a public forum on Thursday, March 22 to discuss the possibility of the town going to a Town Manager type of government. For more details read here –
6. The Community Advocate tries to post as many events as possible so you are aware of all the fun, interesting and important things going on in your community. If you have an event you's like us to list, please email it to [email protected]
We also have a list of ongoing events. Check them out here-