By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
With the United States Post Office and its woes so much in the news, let's take a moment today to celebrate the Pony Express. On this day in 1860, the first horse and rider teams simultaneously left St. Joseph, MO and Sacramento, CA, to travel across the nation to the other team's home base. Ten days later the westbound team reached Sacramento beating the east coast team by two days.
This day is important in the lives of two notorious criminals. The ruthless leader of the James Gang, Jesse James was murdered in 1882 and on this day in 1996, Ted Kaczynski, aka the “Unabomber,” was arrested.
Many celebrities share April 3 as a birthday including actors Eddie Murphy (1961), David Hyde Pierce (1959), Alec Baldwin (1958), Marlon Brando (1924) and Doris Day (1922).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Did you know that many towns now have websites where you can sign up to get news via email? Shrewsbury is one – here is a link to where you can sign up for police news.
2. This Friday, April 6, a special fundraiser will be held at Roche Bros. in Westborough for the Algonquin Regional High School Junior post prom party. Go here for more details –
3. Operation Otaku is a club at the Marlborough Public Library for teens interested in anime and manga. Go here for more details –
4. The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) has a fantastic website where you can find out all the details you need to know about the spring athletic schedules of your favorite high school. Here's a link to Hudson High School's information.
5. Have you or someone you know been diagnosed with breast cancer? Then you should check out this link about a support group that is held at the Marlborough Hospital.
6. Here's a story about a former St. Mark's student who took a decidedly different route (including a trip to out of space) to achieving a successful life.