By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
On this day in 1973 John Paul Getty III, a grandson of oil scion J. Paul Getty, was kidnapped in Rome, Italy. The ransom note, demanding $3.2 million, was delivered with something most disturbing – one of the young man's ears. Getty III was ultimately released and eventually had surgery to fashion another ear.
On this day in 1999, the U.S. women's soccer team defeated China, 5-4, in a match played in California, 5-4, to win their second Women's World Cup. What most people probably remember from that game, however, was not that Brandi Chastain kicked in the final goal. Rather, they most likely recall her dropping to the ground immediately after scoring and quickly pulling off her shirt, exposing her sports bra, in celebration.
On this day in 2005, Hurricane Dennis made contact with the Florida Panhandle. Before the storm was done, it had caused 82 deaths throughout the U.S. and Caribbean, and nearly $5.5 billion in damages.
Born on this day – pop personality Jessica Simpson (1980); the late tennis star Arthur Ashe (1943); and the late Fred Gywnne (1923), perhaps best known for his television role as “Herman Munster.”
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Summer is of course a great time to catch up on your reading. If you love mysteries you should check out this event at the Northborough Free Library tomorrow night, Wednesday, July 11.
2. This sounds like an awesome way to spend a summer evening!
3. Fire trucks, dump trucks, police cruisers and ice cream – now that's a great way to spend a summer afternoon! All of these and more will be at the Southborough Library Thursday, July 12, starting at 2:30 p.m.
4. Did you know that Westborough has approximately 28 miles of walking trails? Check out this website for more information and maps.
5. Road work can be aggravating, no doubt, but we'sl appreciate all this hard work this winter. In Shrewsbury, several roads will be worked on next week. Here's more information –
6. ?We are kicking off a new email alert system to let you know ASAP what's going on in your community. If you's like to subscribe, simply go to our home page, http://communityadvocate.com, , scroll down the left hand side and fill in the box. That's it! And of course, we promise never to use your email address for any other purpose!