By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
On this day in 1996, it was the end of a royal fairy tale as the divorce between Charles, Prince of Wales (and the heir to the British throne), and his wife, Princess Diana, was finalized.
On this day in 1968, tens of thousands of Vietnam protesters disrupted the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, as they fought with police forces in the streets.
And on this day in 1917, a protest of another kind as women suffragettes picketed outside the White House. The women were protesting President Woodrow Wilson's lack of support for women's rights and other social issues of the day.
Today's birthdays include two country superstars, LeAnn Rimes (1982) and Shania Twain (1965) and actor Jason Priestley (1969).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. The Northborough Police Department is urging residents to be cautious after a large number of homes were broken into recently.
2. The former Westborough Town Coordinator Henry Danis has passed away.
3. Thursday, Aug. 30, at 7 p.m., the Marlborough 2012 Summer Concert Series concludes with a performance by The Missy Maxfield Project. The two-hour concert takes place on Union Common, 91 Main St. Admission is free.
4. Don's miss this wonderful and inspiring story about a local veteran's experience during a dangerous World War II mission.
5. The Shrewsbury school district has several important forms on their website for parents to download if needed.
6. The Southborough Summer Nights event has been delighting residents young and old for the past nine years. This year's event, held Saturday, Aug. 25, was a great success, as evidenced by the big smile on this young girl's face.