Tatassit Beach night spot was a popular Shrewsbury dancing destination

1157

Tatassit Beach night spot was a popular Shrewsbury dancing destination
The Tatassit Canoe Club on a small island in Lake Quinsigamond later became the Hi-Hat nightclub, a popular destination for dancing in Shrewsbury in the early 20th century.

SHREWSBURY — When Tatassit Beach opened on South Quinsigamond Avenue in 1928, it quickly became an extremely popular destination, not only for swimming in Lake Quinsigamond, but also for renting canoes, its diving tower, and a number of water-based rides and attractions.

In addition, after a few years, the Hi-Hat nightclub was opened on what was then known as Plum Island, located in the building originally used as the quarters of the Tatassit Canoe Club, which had owned the property prior to it being converted to the beach.

Patrons crossing over the footbridge from the beach to the island clubhouse would be greeted by a gentleman in top hat and tails who would bow and say, “Welcome to the Hi-Hat!” In later years the Hi-Hat was converted into summer rooms to rent, with the dining and dancing no longer taking place. One relic that has been preserved from the “glory days” of the club however is a large metal “tap” rescued from the club’s bar when the beach was closed.

The large club building itself, nearly 22,000 square feet, burned to the ground in 2009 in a huge fire after it had been closed for about 20 years and had fallen into disrepair. The blaze was later found to be deliberately set. The island was sold at auction in 2011, and private residences stand on the beach property today.

No posts to display