By Jeri Baily
Fall greetings to all!
There is no question that this pandemic has affected everyone in very diverse ways. A dramatic change, much as we are currently experiencing, sometimes leads to a reassessment of various wants and needs, including housing. This is true for many age groups, but can be particularly significant for a “senior adult.”
This is where a real estate agent who has earned the designation, Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES), would be a very valuable resource. A Realtor with this designation has additional education and training on how to assist seniors and their families in making a smooth transition selling their home and successfully moving forward.
The following are some of the qualities and knowledge that a Realtor with an SRES designation provides:
- Experience, knowledge and compassion dealing with senior needs;
- Molding the marketing of the home to the requirements of the older client;
- Familiarity with a network of professionals who can assist in financial, estate and tax counseling;
- There may be a need for counseling to adapt some physical features of the home on a short term basis.
- Offering a no-pressure process with a strong service orientation;
- Recognition of the emotional demands that a selling process can present and efforts to minimize that impact;
- Providing detailed information and a checklist to help manage details of the move;
- Providing valuable knowledge on how to appropriately prepare the home and advise on care of valuables etc. for an open house.
In addition, the SRES is knowledgeable of community-based services. For example, Eldercare Locator is at 800-677-1116 and eldercare.gov.
The seller can choose what type of showings works best for them. There are two general options: a) a prearranged time when agent accompanies their client to view the home or b) an open house in which potential buyers visit the home during a specific block of time. (During the pandemic, showing rules are very different.)
If leaving your home during showings is a problem, the SRES agent will plan to accompany the buyer’s agent when showing your home.
The agent will always work with the best interest of the senior client in mind and will in turn adapt business practices to meet the needs of the senior client.
Whatever your age or circumstance, it will be my honor to be your professional and custom guide throughout the process from the first details of preparing the home for the market to the successful sale to a new owner. I have vast experience and knowledge of working with both buyers and sellers of all ages. Whether you are a first-time buyer or ready to sell/buy as your family needs have changed, I will be your guide!
REALTOR®, GRI, CBR, SRES, PSA
Residential and Relocation Specialist
Cell: (508) 259-9848