The C.A. six tips of the day for Sept. 27
Region – Today is Thursday, Sept. 27, the 271st day of 2012.
On this day in 1854, 322 people were killed when two ships, the “Artic” and the “Vespa,” collided off the coast of Newfoundland. The accident was blamed on sudden dense fog.
On this day in 1959, 5000 people were killed after “Super Typhoon Vera” hit the main Japanese island of Honshū.
And on this day in 1821, Mexico gained its independence from Spain.
Three musicians are celebrating their birthdays today – Lil Wayne (1982); Meat Loaf (1947) and Avril Lavigne (1984).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. A beloved Shrewsbury librarian, Linda Dashnaw, is retiring as the Head of Children’s Services at the Shrewsbury Public Library next month. The public is invited to a reception to be held in her honor, tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 28.
2. The annual Senior Health Fair at the Marlborough Senior Center will be held tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 28, 1 to 4 p.m. The event is free and open to the public – flu shots will also be available.
3. It is supposed to rain this weekend, but the Spirit of Shrewsbury will still be a great way for residents (and others) to celebrate the start of fall.
4. The Shrewsbury High School Crew alumni are holding a get-together tomorrow evening , Sept 28.
5. The Hudson Satellite of the Franklin School for the Performing Arts will be holding a grand opening reception tomorrow evening, Sept. 28 at 14 Main St., Hudson. http://www.communityadvocate.com/2012/09/20/hudson-franklin-school-for-the-performing-arts-grand-opening/
6. Northborough officials have posted an update on the downtown traffic project on the town’s website:
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=26710