The C.A. six tips of the day for Dec. 5
Region – Today is Wednesday, Dec. 5, the 340th day of 2012.
On this day in 1933, after 13 years, prohibition – which forbids the manufacture, transportation and sale of alcohol and alcoholic beverages in the United States – was repealed.
On this day in 1876, nearly 300 people perished and hundreds more were injured when a fire broke out at the Brooklyn Theater in New York.
And on this day in 1776, the first American college fraternity Phi Beta Kappa, was founded at The College of William and Mary, in Williamsburg, Va.
Happy birthday today to – Frankie Muniz (1985); Little Richard (1932); and Johnny Rzeznik (1965).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Shrewsbury Electric and Cable (SELCO) is asking for the public’s support for its annual “Share the Warmth” program, which assists local citizens in need with funding to maintain electric service for heat, light and hot water through the cold winter months.
2. Applications are now available for the 2013 town of Shrewsbury scholarships. These scholarships are awarded to deserving high school seniors who are residents of Shrewsbury. Awards are based on financial need, character, community service and academic achievement. For more information go to the town’s website at -
3. Although it won’t be quite the same as previous years due to the ongoing traffic project, Northborough is holding a holiday kick-off. The public is invited to participate in a tree lighting as well as visiting local merchants who will be having specials that day in honor of the kick-off.
4. “Puritans, Praying Indians and King Philip’s War” will be presented by local historian and trustee of the Marlborough Historical Society Paul Brodeur at the Northborough Historical Society meeting, Friday, Dec. 7.
5. The non-profit group Andrew’s Helpful Hands has helped so many familes whose children have been diagnosed with cancer. The organization will holding its 12th annual Gold Ribbon Holiday Reception Friday, Dec. 7, from 7 p.m. to midnight, at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Marlborough.
6. A Christmas Carol, The Musical” will be performed Friday, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 8, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.; and Sunday, Dec. 9, at 2 p.m., at the Hudson Town Hall. http://www.communityadvocate.com/2012/11/15/hudson-a-christmas-carol-the-musical-performances/
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=29119