By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
On this day in 2011, one of the world's most wanted men, Osama bin Laden, was killed during a raid by U.S. Navy Seals on his compound in Pakistan. Four other occupants, including bin Laden's son, perished in the attack as well. After the raid, which only lasted about 40 minutes, bin Laden's body was reportedly flown by a U.S. helicopter to Afghanistan for official identification and then buried in the Arabian Sea, according to Islamic practice.
On this day in 1957, Senator Joseph McCarthy, R-Wisconsin, died. McCarthy had been a key figure in the “Red Scare,” an anti-communist movement that engulfed the country in the 1950s. The careers of over 200 innocent citizens were destroyed after McCarthy falsely accused them of being communists.
In the end, the tide turned against him; and he died of an illness related to alcoholism at only age 48.
Today's birthday include – Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, former wrestler and movie star (1972); David Beckham, soccer star and husband of former “Spice Girl” Victoria Beckham (1975); “60s and “70s heartthrob Engelbert Humperdinck (1936), and pseudo pediatrician to millions, Dr. Benjamin Spock (1903).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. James Kane won the race for the Shrewsbury Board of Selectmen race in yesterday's Annual Town Election. Kane had 3,517 votes to Benjamin Tartaglia's 959.
2. The Marlborough Public Schools will present its first annual Jazz Night in the Whitcomb School auditorium tomorrow night, May 3. The free event will consist of performances by the four Marlborough jazz ensembles in conjunction with Tom Palance, a professional trumpet play from the North Shore. It will be an evening filled with the different styles of jazz, including swing, blues, Latin, and funk, and will also feature solos by Palance and members of the bands.
3. Even if you don's live in Westborough, you definitely should plan on coming and attending the 10th Annual Westborough Spring Festival, sponsored by Westborough Rotary Club this weekend. The festivities start on Friday evening and continue throughout the whole weekend.
Check out these links for more information –
4. Yesterday the Westborough Economic Development Committee announced a major retailer – the Burlington Coat Factory – would be moving into the former BJ's Warehouse location in
Westborough later this summer. Stay tuned to the Community Advocate for further news on how this will affect not only Westborough, but also Shrewsbury, where the company presently has a store.
5. The Northborough Public Schools K-8 School Committee race in the upcoming Annual Town Election is actually an uncontested one – there are only two candidates on the ballot for the two open spaces. Here's what the candidates have to say about a number of issues –
6. We love to feature news about amazing individuals who volunteer their time, energy and hearts for great causes, like Hudson's Mary Walling, who has volunteered for over 40 years for Project Bread. If you know of someone in your community who deserves a shout-out, email Kathy Behan at [email protected].