By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
Region – Today is Thursday, Aug. 16, the 229th day of 2012.
On this day in 1977, the world mourned the passing of one of the most iconic performers of all time, Elvis Presley. The “King of Rock and Roll” died after suffering a heart attack which was most likely brought on from his addiction to prescription barbiturates. Presley was only 42 at the time of his death.
On this day in 1948, one of the greatest baseball players of all time, Babe Ruth, passed away after losing his battle with cancer. ?Ruth laid in state in the front entrance of Yankee Stadium for two days so fans could pay their respects to him. He was only 53.
The discovery of gold nuggets in the Klondike River in Canada's Yukon Territory on this day in 1896 resulted in over 50,000 miners rushing to the area over the next two years. One of these men was author Jack London, who although an unsuccessful miner, went on to have fame and fortune unrelated to the gold rush.
Happy birthday today to: Madonna (1958); actor Steve Carell (1962) and movie director James Cameron (1954).
Here are six tips for the day:
1. Mister G will be performing Saturday morning, Aug. 18 as part of the Saturday Morning Discovery Series, at Union Common, 91 Main St. Marlborough. Mister G is a 2011 Grammy nominee for Best Children's album and the winner of a 2011 Parents” Choice Award.
2. The Worcester County Sheriff's Annual Senior Picnic will be held Saturday, Aug. 18, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at Scandinavian Athletic Club Park, 438 Lake St. The free, popular event offers complimentary lunch, raffles, and bingo.
3. Children who have participated in the Northborough Free Library's summer reading program are invited to an ice cream party at the library on Saturday, Aug. 18 from 12 noon to 3 p.m. To find out more or to register, call 508-393-5025, ext. 4.
4. The Annual Children's Festival to benefit the Cottage Children's Center will be held Saturday, Aug. 18 at the Hudson Elks Club, 99 Park St. Festivities get underway at 10 a.m. and will continue to 3 p.m. The festival includes a giant slide, an obstacle course, a race to break the balloon, and much more. ?For more details go to:
5. We love good news such as this story of a wonderful Marlborough couple who recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
6. We apologize if you have tried to use our “Submit a story idea” button on our website's front page and had trouble with it. It is fixed now so please feel free to send us ideas, photos, comments – whatever you's like!