Westborough – Westborough Youth Basketball Association (WYBA) will be holding tryouts for the 2019-2020 travel basketball season on Saturday, Sept. 28 and Sunday, Oct. 6.
Tryouts will be held at Westborough High School, 90 West Main St. The cost is $20 pre-registration/$25 at the door (payable via TeamSnap; no cash/check will be accepted at the door).
- Visit westboroughbasketball.org for specific sign-up times for tryouts. Players are strongly encouraged to attend both tryout sessions for their grade. If a player is injured and not able to tryout, he/she should still attend the sessions and observe the tryouts.
- Players who are late for a tryout or leave a tryout early will be included in the ratings as long as they attend ¾ of the minutes of the tryout. For example, if the tryout is scheduled from 9-10 a.m. and the player arrives at 9:20 a.m., they will not be allowed to participate.
- A standard tryout format is used for all sessions and is facilitated by members of the WYBA Board of Directors. Tryouts will be closed to parents.
- Tryout evaluators are selected by the WYBA Board, made up of coaches and former players, who can effectively assess basketball skills. Tryout evaluators are not allowed to evaluate or see the scores for players in a grade/gender that they have a child in.
- Players are evaluated (1-10 scale) on a standard set of criteria, which includes basketball skills, positional attributes as well as attitude and hustle.
- The A Team Head Coach and B Team Head Coach applicants may be present at tryouts to observe, but do not evaluate the players and cannot communicate with the evaluators.
- Coaches have specific requirements based on the tryout results that must be followed when selecting teams. Parents encouraged to review the WYBA Bylaws to gain a better understanding of how the teams are selected.
- The league will notify the players/parents of the tryout results approximately 5-10 days after the last tryout.