The C.A. six tips of the day for Nov. 2
Region –Today is Friday, Nov. 2, the 307th day of 2012.
On this day in 1986, the late Norwegian distance runner Grete Waitz won her eighth New York City marathon.
On this day in 1983 U.S. President Ronald Reagan signed a bill that authorized the third Monday in January each year to be acknowledged as Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
And on this day in 1984, serial killer Margie Velma Barfield (née Margie Velma Bullard) was the first woman in the United States to be executed after the 1976 resumption of capital punishment and the first woman to be executed by lethal injection.
Happy birthday today to – singers K.D. Lang (1961) and Nelly (1974) and actor David Schwimmer (1966).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. It’s that time of year – daylight savings is ending. Don’t forget to turn back your clocks Saturday night, Nov. 3 before you go to bed. (And of course, as all fire officials remind us, change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors too!)
2. The celebrated regional orchestra Symphony Pro Musica will open its 30th season this Sunday, Nov. 4, at 3:30 p.m. at the Mill Pond School in Westborough.
3. Tatnuck Bookseller in Westborough will host Marilynn and Steve Carter Sunday, Nov. 4, from 1 to 3 p.m., for “No Fret Cooking.”
4. Shrewsbury’s new water rates are now in effect.
For more information – http://www.communityadvocate.com/2012/10/05/shrewsbury-selectmen-approve-water-hikes-2/
5. As we all know all too well, Tuesday, Nov. 6 is the election. Westborough residents can get a sneak peek at what their ballot looks like by going to the town’s website.
6. Now that Halloween is over, it’s time to think about Thanksgiving. The Marlborough Community Cupboard, a branch of the United Way of Tri-County is hoping that the public will help them with an initiative that will provide food to 3000 families in their service area this Thanksgiving.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=28035