By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
It was on this day in 1968 that legendary singer James Brown appeared at the Boston Garden. The concert almost did not happen because Boston, like many other U.S. cities, was amidst riots and turmoil after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. just two days prior. But due to some savvy negotiating between Mayor Kevin White, Brown's team and a local television station, a decision was made to not only hold the concert, but also televise it. That decision was credited with helping to curb the violence in the city that night.
Today marks the anniversaries of the deaths of four iconic American figures – singer Kurt Cobain (1994), businessman Howard Hughes (1976), NASCAR legend Lee Petty (2000) and actor Charlton Heston (2008).
Today's birthdays include – former US General and Secretary of State Colin Powell (1937), ABBA singer Agnetha Fältskog (1950), and country singer Vince Gill.
Here are six tips for the day –
1. The death of a child is surely the most devastating of losses. One local couple has found the strength and grace to work through their pain and as a result, help other kids. Read this story to find out more about a special fundraiser they will be holding at their son's school, Shrewsbury High.
2. Here's another story of a couple who tragically lost their young child. But now, thanks to some special friends, they have found the courage to keep moving forward.
3. Two local towns, Hudson and Southborough, are holding rabies clinics this Saturday, April 7.
4. Many local churches will be holding services and Masses over the next few days in anticipation of Easter. Check our calendar section where you can find all the details.
5. This holiday weekend, why not look through some of your family's treasures and see if there are any you would like to get appraised at this event, Tuesday, April 10 in Northborough?
6. Unfortunately, there are always those who like to take what does not belong to them. Southborough police are now warning residents to be cautious after several recent burglaries in the town have been reported.